Excellent editorial in the journal Anaesthesia casting comparison between high pressure high stakes environment of NASA and healthcare delivery.
A very interesting article and comments, arguing that although Consultant numbers have increased, Consultant productivity has decreased due many systemic factors including workforce planning (including lack in increase in nurses), social and community care capacity limiting patient flow, and capital e.g. lack of ICU beds, IT infrastructure.
Many questions are raised though, such as how can ‘productivity’ be a accurately and meaningfully measured in a useful and comparable way in such a complex system. Also, how does one account and value ofter features such as quality and safety? It’s complex!
Take home messages:
- Make a TO BE list rather than a TO DO list
- how would the best version of oneself go in to work? – energetic, creative, resilient, positive, confident, upbeat, happy
- Zig Ziggler
- Vipassana Vendatta
- Can choose to be positive vs be a mood hoover
- Do not moan. ‘get over it’ choose to be positive, be grateful
- If you did know the answer what would it be? If we were the best team, how would we act?
- ratio of good/praise to bad/negativity:
- 1:1 high risk
- 2:1 at risk
- 3:1 – minimum for good relationship
- 6:1 – high performing team
- 8:1 – children
- 1st FOUR MINUTES = be the best self.
- Reframing positively e.g. ‘was it good, great or amazing?’
- Appreciative enquiry – meeting and discussing what went WELL
The Art of Being Brilliant – mentoring update
Focus and communicate on the WHY.
Not the how or what.
5 practices of exemplary leadership:
– Challenge the process
– Inspire a shared vision
– Enable others to act
– Model the way
– Encourage the heart
From Kouzes and Posners leadership challenge
“Walk in the shoes of the people we serve. Think like a patient, act like a taxpayer.”
Simon Stevens’ (CEO NHS England) speech setting out vision for NHS in the Five Year Forward View.
4 point strategy:
1. Deal with the emotions. Let them pass.
2. State facts. Identify problems.
3. Generate ideas and solutions. Action plan.
4. Commit to do it.
Also does the job outside of work!